KinderGals: It’s Wednesday in Vegas and Here’s What’s Happenin’

Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

It’s Wednesday in Vegas and Here’s What’s Happenin’

Slide76
Slide77
Today is my day at the I Teach 1st. You can jump over to my facebook and grab this freebee.
Here is a picture of my word wall. I like to color code the words so that there is only one word on red paper under the “a”, only one word on green paper under the “a”, etc. Slide78
First I made a list of all the sight words in the order that I am going to add them to the word wall. I show each child list one to see if they know any of the words. I highlight the words.
Slide79Then, I make a ring for each child. On their ring I put all the words that I highlighted and then I cross them out. I add a few new words.
Slide80Each day I have them read their words to me. If they miss only 1, I have them put it in the “1” basket, if they miss “2” they put it in the “2” basket. If they miss 3, I have them hang them back up.Slide81
Now I can add words so that they have 3 words that they do not know. Some children will have as few as 5 words and others over 100! Here’s my storage system.
Slide82Slide83
Before school starts, I make a folder for each week. I put the sight words that are going to be added to the word wall, the parent letter, my academic vocabulary words, and the environmental print words that I am going to add!Slide84
Slide86
Slide87
This session is just a variety of games that can teach the different standards. I love Roll, Say, Keep. Now this one has the ABC’s and I am at the First Grade conference. But, it is so easy to play this same game all year, just change the cards..sight words, numerals, sets, shapes, etc.
To play the game, put a card in each of the 6 boxes with the dice faces. Now a child rolls a dice. If the dice lands on 6 dots, then they have to read what is on the card that is in the box with the “6” dice face. If they can, then they get to take that card off and add another card from the stack in the empty space! Easy Peasy! Lemon Squeezy!
Here are the units that I referred to in this session. They are 20% off today only!
Slide101Slide102Slide103Slide104Slide106Slide91Slide88Slide89Slide105Slide92Slide93Slide94Slide95Slide96Slide97Slide90Slide98Slide99Slide100
Slide107
Slide108
The other session for Wednesday is DI! In this session I share a variety of ways to do formative assessments, how to group kids and deliver instruction so that everyone gets just what they need.
One of the big ideas is how I form families. These are groups that stay the same all year. They have a variety of levels, personalities, and needs. They are ones that can “get along”. They are not necessarily friends, but when it is work time, they WORK! These are the children they go to math and literacy centers with. These are the children they do all group work with.
THEN, when they are working, I can pull a few from each of the families based on a common need. After I work with them, I send them back to their family and pull another group! These groups that I pull from the families are constantly changing!
Here are the units that I referred to in this session. They are 20% off today only!
Slide109Slide110Slide111Slide112Slide113
Pin It!

4 comments:

Linda said...

Love how you keep these organized!

Linda
Down the Learning Road

Susan said...

For those of us that couldn't be in Las Vegas, do you have a resource that explains how you do your DI in detail?

Susan said...

For those of us that couldn't be in Las Vegas, do you have a resource that explains how you do your DI in detail?

Renee Dooly said...

Kim, thanks for sharing! Thanks for a great presentation in Vegas. You were great. It's fun to put a personality to one of the blogs I love reading.

Renee
Fantastic First Grade Froggies

 
Pin It button on image hover

Receive All Free Updates Via Facebook.