KinderGals: Move Over Apples…Here come the Pumpkins!

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Move Over Apples…Here come the Pumpkins!

Well, I think it is time to put apples to rest! Megan’s kids had so much fun learning about Apples! We are just getting started with pumpkins, so here are some of the things that we did LAST year! Like I said before, we “do” the activities, take the pictures, and make the post, but by that time everyone else is done with pumpkins, too!
Slide1
So here are last year’s plans!  In the pictures above you can see the finished apple bubble map, but on the right you can see we made a pumpkin bubble map! That’s right….for pumpkins I did nearly all the same activities that I had done with apples, but now let’s do them with a pumpkin theme.Slide2
We made a venn diagram to compare the things we know about apples and pumpkins. Our kiddos have an elbow partner on the carpet. This is what we call a “lean and tell”. After I ask the questions, they just lean and tell their partner the answer. No more having kiddos raise their hands, only holding a few of them responsible for the learning…everyone is actively engaged! We also do a “turn and talk” if we want them to discuss something. For a turn and talk, they would turn knee to knee to have a discussion. Lean and tells are for quick, short answers!
Slide3
After reading the story, “The Biggest Pumpkin Ever” we made a Venn diagram to compare the two characters in the story—Desmond and Clayton. I divided my class into two groups. While one group was working in centers, I worked with the other group using interactive writing to write everything we knew about “Desmond”. Then, they swapped places. With the second group we wrote everything we knew about “Clayton”. Later in the day, we all came together on the carpet. We read each of the sentences that we had written and decided where it need to go on the Venn Diagram.Slide4
We made a brace map for the parts of the pumpkin. As I was making the large brace map, they had their own copy and were filling it in at the same time. Then, we painted their palm to make the pumpkin.Slide5
After reading lots of non fiction texts about pumpkins,  they recorded the information that have learned about pumpkins. Then they made the pumpkin craft and glued them together for publishing!
Slide6
We made pumpkin pizzas and they made a step book shaped like a pumpkin to do their “how to” writing!
Slide7
I made this spin graph. The kiddos spin and record if it lands on apples or pumpkins. Then they use the information to make a graph and do the analysis. All of these activities are in the Apples and Pumpkins Math and Literacy Activities Unit.

For this game, they had to sort the clip art pictures if they started with a “j” like jack o lantern or a “p” like pumpkin. Then, they recorded their sort on the tree map. I did also have a blank tree map, with no lines, for kids who weren’t able to stretch out the words. This game is in the Apples and Pumpkins Literacy Game Pack.

My kids love this game! Two kids play together with each getting 10 unifix cubes. They break their unifix cubes apart, putting half on the game board and half behind their backs. The one that had the shortest “scarecrow” on the board spins the spinner. If it lands on shorter, than they get to take all the unifix cubes to add to their train. If it lands on longer, than the other player gets to take all the unifix cubes. This game is in the Apples and Pumpkins Math Game Pack. If your kiddos like this spin graph, I made a whole packet with just spins graphs. This packet, Spin a Graph, contains 10 different spin graph game boards, the graphs, and the data analysis page.
Pin It!

5 comments:

Susan said...

Love it! :) We just finished our pumpkin unit last week. Next week, we only have two days of school because of p/t conf and fall break. This will be perfect to tie it all together!
Susan
Kindergarten is the Best

Alessia Albanese said...

Great activities, Kim and Megan! Just put the unit on my wish list! Hope you are both well :)

Ѽ Alessia
Mrs. Albanese’s Kindergarten Class

BusyBeesin118 said...

I love your idea of "lean and talk". I have students turn and talk to discuss certain things...but I get so frustrated with always having to take the time to give them a partner. I want them to have an "elbow buddy" that they lean too...so I was hoping you could answer a couple questions. Do you assign students a lean and talk partner? What do you do when students' partners are not there (i.e. absent, working with an assistant, etc.)? Thanks for answering my questions!!

School Sparks Renee said...

What a great idea - sharing lat year's plans so others can use them now!! Wonderful ideas and pictures! Renee

Kim and Megan said...

Hey Busy Bees! Here is the answer to your question...I do assign partners. It is the child sitting right next to them. They know who it is and they keep the same partner all year unless I move children to a new spot on the carpet. I have my children sitting in 3 rows on the carpet. I put the kids that I have the most concern about on the front row. Then, I am able to "listen in" to the partner talk to be sure they are on target with their thinking. When someone is absent, they know to just join in on another group that is close to them.

 
Pin It button on image hover

Receive All Free Updates Via Facebook.