- Reproduce a set of cards. I change the cards throughout the year to match the "theme" or season. I also make the cards different sizes. This way, it will be different each time.
- The kids work with a partner to measure each other using the set of cards.
- On the recording page, they each write how many of the cards they used to measure each other.
- Then, they draw a picture of them and their partner to show their measurement.
- Reproduce a set of "theme" related or seasonal word cards. I make these in excel or a table.
- Invite the children to make a "name train" by collecting unifix cubes, one for each letter in their name. Snap these together, leave them together throughout the game. I have the children use only white, this makes it easier for me to see which cubes are for their name.
- Each child takes a card. Place a unifix cube on each letter.
- Once each letter is covered, snap the cubes together.
- Compare the cubes for the "theme" word, to the cubes for their name.
- Is the word longer, shorter or the same length as your name?
- Write the word on the recording page in the correct column.
- Invite each child to count 10 cubes and snap them together.
- Children will work in partners.
- Give each partnership a game board and a spinner.
- Each child holds his 10 cubes in his hands.
- The kids say, "1,2,3 break."
- They break their cubes into 2 parts.
- Place one part on the game board.
- Whoever put the shortest length of cubes on the game board, spins the spinner.
- If it lands on shorter, that child gets all of the cubes on the game board.
- If it lands on longer, the other child gets all of the cubes on the board.
- Now, they repeat.
- The game continues until one child has all of the cubes.
These games are from this Measurement Game Pack Bundle.