Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, November 15, 2012

All About Lions—Thinking About Non Fiction Text! and a Freebee!

Slide20
Before I got there, Kath was teaching her kiddos about jungle animals. We decided to use Lions for our study on non fiction books. So, as the kiddos came in we had them think about the things they already knew about lions and enter that information in their journals.
Slide21
That morning I collected a few non fiction books about animals. First, I had them turn and talk with their partner about everything they already know about lions. When I was sharing the books with Kath’s kids I wanted them to see how I didn’t have to read the whole book, just look for the parts I wanted to know about. So I modeled how I could look through the books and look for pictures of lions. Then, I would read the information about lions. After doing that for a few books, I told them that sometimes authors make a table of contents to help the reader find the information more quickly. So then I had a few books with table of contents and we found which pages were about Lions and just turned to that page! As we were reading the information, I taught them two things that good readers do while reading non fiction text—when we come to something that we already know from other readings, we can say “I know that!” or when we come to something that is new we can say, “I didn’t know that!”  I also showed them how they could say “Wow, that’s cool!” when they read something really neat. We practiced each part by having them turn to their partner and use one of the three sayings we had talked about. If you have my Powerful Partnerships Unit 2 Reader’s Workshop, in that unit we teach the kids how to share these items with a partner using post it notes. Find it here: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Powerful-Partnerships-Readers-Workshop-Unit-2-by-Kim-Adsit-and-Michele-Scannell
BTW, Michele and I are now working on our unit 6 for Reader’s Workshop and it is going to be one of my favorites—it is on Nonfiction Texts!Slide22
After reading all the information, we made a tree map together. I made it on the smart board (Reason 6…..) and the kiddos each had their own tree map to record our thoughts. I did make a large one on paper, too so that we could display it. While I liked making it on the smart board, I want to be able to have that finished product up for my kids to see. We then broke into small groups. One group made their own non fiction book about Lions. They selected one item under each of the tree map headings to record in their books.
Slide23
Slide24
So if you stuck with me through this long text, here is your reward…
Lion Tree Map Student Version
All About Lions Title Page
Lion Tree Map Teacher Version
In my next post I am going to show you how we displayed our lion tree maps on a super cute lion craftivity while learning about ___ing words!
Pin It!

3 comments:

School Sparks Renee said...

This is a great unit and I love your graphics. The tree map page is adorable. Renee

teacher244 said...

Love! Curious...what was the boy typing in the ipad? Interested in seeing how that was incorporated!

Thanks! Stephanie

Kim and Megan said...

Stephanie, That little cutie is non verbal. He has a trac and doesn't speak. He is really good with that ipad. It is quite amazing to watch him. He is a real smartie!

 
Pin It button on image hover

Receive All Free Updates Via Facebook.