KinderGals: Building Brain Power with Metaphors, Analogies, and Similes

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Building Brain Power with Metaphors, Analogies, and Similes

We probably all remember using metaphors, analogies, and similes in school.  BUT….when I tried to think of how I used this strategy in my room, I had a hard time. Marcia tells us that “of all 20 strategies, this one is probably one of the most effective.” WOW! And I’m not even sure if I am using it?!
So here goes my best attempt…I am really anxious to read the post of other kindergarten teachers to see how they are using this strategy…We have some work to do on this one, for sure!
We read, “Metaphors use the familiar to explain something unfamiliar and describes the conceptual using something tangible.”
As I have written the non-fiction text for our monthly guided reading units, I have found myself saying things like, “That’s as long as a sub sandwich.” when I was trying to give them a picture of how long a groundhog is. But, surely, there is more that I can do.
Slide3
So maybe we are hitting this strategy when we teach that finding a good fit book is like finding a pair of shoes that are a good fit? Or, what about when we teach our kids the reading strategies and link them to the tools in a carpenter’s tool box?
chapter 8-2Slide2
Or, maybe we are using the strategy when we link beginning sounds to “It’s the same sound as ____’s name.”?
Slide5
Maybe in our back to school welcome gifts when we tell them how they are like an eraser, like a smartie, etc?
Slide1
Or, maybe when we talk about Bats and we talk about their sense of hearing? Then when we say, “Are you listening like a bat?” when we want them to really listen?
We also read that “when students connect what they are learning in mathematics with other content areas, math is viewed as more useful and interesting than when math is taught as a separate subject.”Slide8
How about when we have children think of number in their everyday life? Are they making connections between the real world in a way that will help them remember that number when they are referenced to that item?
Slide7
Or, when we learning shapes and we teach them that a triangle is like a tent, or a rectangle is like a door?
Slide99
Or how about when we bring math to their every day life in a way that they can later remember, “Oh, I remember, it was like when we….”?
As you can see, this entire post is a question. Because I’m really not sure if I have the right idea. This is a chapter that I have marked in the book, to read and read again. To read what other teachers are doing. To find ways that we can start using this strategy NOW!
Be sure and hop on over to  Cara’s blog to see what other teachers are sharing for this chapter. I can’t wait to read!
bookstudy1
Pin It!

4 comments:

Linda Nelson @ Primary Inspiration said...

There's no question in my mind that you've nailed this strategy ... such great examples! I love the way this book {even with its little bitty chapters! :)} is pushing us to look harder at our teaching practices.
Linda at Primary Inspiration

Science School Yard said...

You gave great examples to think about. I teach science K-5 and so I need to find some creative ways to add these strategies...I feel some exit tickets in the works. Lots to think about...thanks for sharing!

Renee at The Science School Yard

njMuse said...

Hi - you mentioned "eraser and smartie back to school welcome gifts." Do you have any additional ideas for inexpensive welcome gifts that also have a "message"? Thank you! Great site and blog :)

Kim and Megan said...

Here are the words I used. The idea is in my Open House Scavenger Hunt pack.
The starburst means that you are a star…shine bright and always do your best.
The eraser lets you know that it is okay to make a mistake…that is how we learn.
The smarties candy is because that is what you will be.
The Hershey’s hug is because everyone needs a hug.
The penny is because no matter how small…you are valuable and special.
The sticker means that we will all stick together.

 
Pin It button on image hover

Receive All Free Updates Via Facebook.