Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

“Workin’ On It! Wednesdays

So I know….my northern friends might still be in school…so you might find it a little crazy to even start thinking about next year. But, some of us in the south have already been out of school for almost 3 weeks!
That Back To School rush can be very overwhelming. Too much to do and too little time to get it done. My problem was always that if I didn’t get it done before the kids showed up, sometimes it never got done at all.  I am a super, organized person and can drive my family, and even some of my friends, absolutely crazy! I like things put away in the right place, I like things to be cleaned up as soon as you are done, …you get the point. Now, I have tried to lighten up a little, but I still think the ability to organize and get things done, have played a big part in who I am as a teacher.
So, I decided to do a little linky on Wednesdays to see what others are working on this summer in order to have a smoother start to the new school year. I am taking one task a week and spending a little time each day working on it. This week I decided we would get the carpet bags done. Now, you know I am helping Megan make these things for her room. It might seem that she is one lucky girl to have me to help her, and well I guess she is, to be honest. BUT, she is soooo helpful to me in sooo many ways. (Can’t wait to share my Open House pack next week. Megan has helped me make the documents editable! I wouldn’t have a clue how to do that!)
Slide2
So this week we have (or will have):
*assembled our word families book
*assembled our unit vocabulary notebooks (we already have our large chart from last year so we don’t need to remake it)
*our alphabet charts and yes/no sticks are still in good shape tooSlide3
*assemble the Book of Lists
*assemble the Nursery Rhyme Books
*make the traveling word walls
our working mats are still good from last year, no need to remake
The good thing is….Megan copied all of these before she left for the summer. So now just to assemble. If you counted, we have 5 things to do…one a day, about an hour each morning, and we are done!
Last year, I finally got all of the carpet bag supplies together into a package called “Pack It! Learn It!” It has everything that you saw in those pictures above ready to print!
If you are like, “Carpet Bag? What in the world is a carpet bag?” Then, you will want to read this post. http://kindergals.blogspot.com/2011/08/carpet-bags.html It was one of the very first posts that I did!
I went to the dollar store today to pick up a few things I needed for the Open House pack  and look what I found:Slide6
These are perfect for carpet bags!
Now some random thoughts about a few other things at the Dollar Store….Slide4
Those Happy Birthday “things” go on the back of a chair. How fun to let your little ones have the special cover on their chair for their birthday!
Get your flag stuff now for your American Symbols celebration. 
Love these alphabet stickers. They are the vinyl stickers that you decorate your walls with. I love to use them to make games…a lot cheaper than printing all that with color ink!Slide5
And finally….now is the time to get the pool noodles to make the large rekenrek.  Find the directions here.
So what are you Working On this week? Grab the button and link up your post on what you are doing to make for a smoother start to your year.

Pin It!

7 comments:

Kristin Herrick said...

I wish I could get rid of my desks! There are so many of them and they take up so much space, but we don't have a good place to put things if I decide to get rid of them. These carpet bags seem like a possible solution! I just linked up!

Kristin
Teaching In A Nutshell

Jayne Gammons said...

I am just down the street!! Call me cuz I want to get in on that work session with Megan. I can be there in 20 with stapler in hand!
Smiles, Jayne
Smart Kids
ABCs of Reading

Kim and Megan said...

Kristen,
Megan and I don't have the children have a table spot, the carpet is their only assigned spot. It really frees up the room for more "comfy" pieces of furniture and open space.

Kim and Megan said...

Jayne....Come on over! :)

kinderdiva said...

My last day is tomorrow, and I am already thinking about how awesome these carpet bags would be! Thanks!!!

Angela Nouryeh said...

I am so excited to try your carpet bags his year! What size is a steno pad of paper you use for the word families and book of lists? Could you use composition notebooks instead?
Thanks,
Angela

Kim and Megan said...

Angela,
I am sure any size book will do. I just like the steno pads because they are smaller and have a harder back to them. It gives them a little more support when writing. I think they are about 5x7. They sell them in Walmart, target, office supply stores, etc.

 
Pin It button on image hover

Receive All Free Updates Via Facebook.