KinderGals: Literacy Center Management

Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Literacy Center Management

Slide1

When I set up my centers, the first thing I did was to decide which centers were MAINLY teaching reading, writing and word work. Then I divided them into those three groups.

Slide2Slide3

Then, I divided my room into 5 different areas. The top row on the grid below has areas that teach reading, the second row is writing, the third row word work (abc), the fourth row book centers, and the bottom row play centers. The children will visit one “area” each day being able to choose from the different activities in their area—one for reading, one for writing, one for word work, a book center, and a play center (only open in the afternoon during free choice time).

Slide4

The pictures below show each of the 5 areas of the room. All the centers are in the same area so that children do not need to roam around the room. Their choices for the day are right there together!Slide5Slide6Slide7Slide8

Then I made a board to show the children what their choices were. The one on the left shows a board in the process.  Photos are only added when that center has been explained and practiced! The photo on the right shows the completed board. A few things, like the photo on the left, adding a symbol at the top of each row helps them know where to go. And, number the groups of kids. This way you know to start with Group 1 in the first row on Monday and then move them down one row each day. If you go to my website www.adsit.net in the download section there is a classroom tour that has each center area labeled like the photo below.

Slide9

Slide10

In the photo above, you see how I made my “families”. These are groups of children—all levels, all personalities, all behaviors, etc. Kids that can work well together! Then, the kiddos visit the center areas with their families. These groups are “fixed” unless there is an issue. Once that part is working smoothly, I start to pull small groups of kiddos based on my formative assessments. These groups are very fluid. They may be with some children this week and with different children next week depending on the assessments. Hope this helps those that were in Vegas and those that weren’t! I am in AR tomorrow working with a group of teachers. Super excited---

Pin It!

17 comments:

keri said...

Love your ideas for open house/meet the teacher night!

Mrs. Wright said...

Love your center ideas, I am one of your newest followers!!!!!

First Grade Journal

Just Wild About Teaching said...

the way you set up te centers is awesome...i might have to do mine like that =) im your newest follower...drop by


Just Wild About Teaching

Barbara said...

OK...non related to school stuff..well maybe not if you count what I want to wear to teach in next year..I love the couple of little "shift dresses" (term we used in the 60's) you were wearing in pictures of Vegas..mind sharing where you found them..they look so comfortable..I love that they didn't have an elastic waste in them..like all the ones I am finding. I know Crazy question but I thought you might be flattered that I noticed..HAHAHA

Chandani said...

Hi Adsit Girls,

I am new to the Kindergarten world and was wondering if you could let me know what the kids are doing at each of the centers? Some are self-explanatory like listening and magnetic letters however others are vague and I'd love to implement this in my classroom correctly! I just love the idea of work stations (have my board made already) and am now just putting together the basis for my centers!

Thanks so much for the help! LOVE your blog!!!!

Sue said...

I am curious since your room looks rather packed with those 5 areas, do you also have a common area to gather in your room, like on the rug in front of smartboard or something?

School Sparks Renee said...

Thanks for sharing this organization idea. I love the way you call groups of children "families." What a neat way to encourage cooperation. Renee

Julie Holzenthal said...

How'd I miss those mini sessions? Must have been shopping! Love the slides & ideas! Thanks!do you have social centers (aka play centers)?

Anonymous said...

LOVE your idea about "zones"!!! I can't wait to set up my room a bit different this year! I feel that it will help greatly with transitions, management, making choices and getting to work quickly!! Thanks so much for the post!

Deedee Wills said...

After reading all the center areas... I want a snack! Awesome!

Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

Kim and Megan said...

Barbara, I actually got them at Belks. I get them at Kohls too! I have a very low waist and dresses with a waist never fit me right. I can only where these kinds of dresses or I have to wear a skirt and a blouse. They are very comfortable.

Kim and Megan said...

Chandani! Hey, I think I will take you up on your question! What I think I will do is do a series of blog posts about the different center areas. Keep looking for it in the near future!

Kim and Megan said...

Julie, We do have play centers. Look on the spreadsheet of centers again. They are along the bottom. One play center in each area.

Kim and Megan said...

Sue, Yes, Megan and I both have a carpet area. We use the foam squares that link together--Can I say I just love them!? We do all of our large group teaching from there. Check out the classroom tour that is on my website. It should have pictures there.

Chrissy said...

Thank you for sharing this post. I have a small kindergarten class (our max # is 15, but I have less this year). I want to "work smart" this year and your pictures have given me some great ideas!

ReadWriteSing

Primary Possibilities said...

The pictures are a great visual for me. I like to see how other teachers utilize and organize their literacy centers. I am compiling a list of things and ideas that I need to make my literacy centers go smooth. Thank you for your ideas. I just posted about my "Lunch Pictures" on our blog. Here is a link if anyone is interested. http://primarypossibilities.blogspot.com/2012/07/what-time-is-it-its-time-for-lunch.html It helps my morning routine of choosing lunches run smooth. I am all about organization! :) Thank you, Megan and Kim.

Tammy Benedict said...

Kim , I am in Arkansas! What lucky group of teachers will you be with this week. Also heard you will be in North Little Rock in December. Me and my tshirt buddies are hoping we get to come!

 
Pin It button on image hover

Receive All Free Updates Via Facebook.