KinderGals: Let’s Learn About Number and Developing Fluency

Search This Blog

Monday, August 13, 2012

Let’s Learn About Number and Developing Fluency

What is subitizing? It's the ability to instantly recognize a set.  One of the first math games I learned was called, Say it Fast. We would flash cards with sets of dots and we wanted the kids to be able to quickly tell us how many dots they saw. That is subitizing.  This post has a fun subitizing game that I shared with a group of teachers at a recent training. This is a great activity to use each day as part of your daily routine.
Slide1



Slide2
A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to work with the kindergarten teachers at Bleckley County Primary School, in my own home state, GA. We worked on math standards.
Slide3
This is a new game that they just loved. I got a headband from the dollar tree and added a piece of velcro. Then, I put a piece of the velcro on the dot plate card and attached it to the headband.
Slide4
The teachers gave her clues about her “number” and she had to guess the number on her headband. What a hit! This idea is from the new packet, “Yee Haw! Wild About Numbers!” It has the dot plates already made, just have to copy and you are ready to go.  I play the same game with tens frames, fives frames, rekenreks, and dominoes. They are also in the packet. Once the kiddos are familiar with this game, it is great as a partner activity during centers.
Slide5

Slide6

Slide7
I also posted another new packet a few days ago called “Cut, Stack, Staple, and Read”. It’s a super easy pack to implement and is a great way to practice fluency. To get started all you  have to do is to hit copy and it is ready to go. The slide above shows the steps and the slide below shows the cover of the new packet.
Pin It!

3 comments:

Mrs. Anderson said...

I love the headband idea. Thanks for sharing it!!
Connie:)
www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

Rhonda said...

Your Cut,Stack, Staple, Read pack is very similar to my Flip Books. You can take a peek here. http://rhondabaldacchino.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/sight-word-flip-books.html
Rhonda
Classroom Fun

Kim and Megan said...

Hey Rhonda! I went and looked! wow! We must think alot alike. I made that up when I was trying to think of a way to show patterned text for my new reader's workshop unit on patterns. I was so pleased with how it turned out that I made a whole set of them!

 
Pin It button on image hover

Receive All Free Updates Via Facebook.