KinderGals: Show and Tell…Are you still doing it?

Search This Blog

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Show and Tell…Are you still doing it?

Slide5
Are you still doing show and tell? I watched Megan’s kids as they were doing show and tell on Friday, totally independent of any adult. They were in charge of the whole event and it was pretty awesome.  I can remember a loooooooong time ago, when I first started teaching we did all the kid’s show and tell on Friday. Can I just tell you that after 25 kids stood up to do show and tell, I would want to slit my wrists! It was long and boring and I hated it! So, then I decided to divide my class in 1/5’s with 1/5 of the class sharing each day. That took care of it taking so long, but it didn’t help the boring part! They would literally stand up and say, “It’s my bear. I got it at Walmart!” I would try to get a conversation going, but they had nothing else to say! I wanted to get them talking.
Then, I went to this: When it was your day, you took your show and tell out of your book bag, placed it hidden inside one of the show and tell bags, and put it in the show and tell bucket. Then, when it was your turn, you came and got your bag out of the bucket. No more time spent digging in book bags looking for that show and tell only to realize that you didn’t have anything. They gave the other children 3 clues about what they had in their bag. After hearing the clues, the other children asked questions to clarify. Oh my word! How that changed everything! Think of all the common core standards you are covering during this, not so old school, show and tell!
So, if you’ve given up on show and tell, think it’s too old school kindergarten, maybe you want to give it a new try! My friend, Bert, has them write their clues the night before. Then, when they get to school. they give her the clues. She types them into the smart board and theywould read the clues! Too smart of her!
Pin It!

10 comments:

Lesson Plans and Lollipops said...

When I have done show n' tell, I have students bring something that starts with a certain sound or that is a certain color. I like your idea of having them give clues for others to guess.

Michele said...

I do a "Surprise Bag". It is similar to what you were saying about giving clues. Each child gets a turn and when they take the bag home they have to put something in the bag that begins with the same letter as their first name. With help they write down three clues about what is in the bag and then we read the clues and guess what is in the bag. I do this at the beginning of my phonics lesson and it is a good beginning sound focus.

Sue said...

I do a science and math based showing tell weekly. A calendar is sent home at the beginning of the year with a specific type of item to bring in....for example last week it was "bring in something made out of wood". The children share what they brought and then we decided on different ways we can sort the items brought, we try a few different ways and do a lot of counting and comparing. Some weeks the item lends itself to be more investigative and so we bring out the magnifying glasses and do some exploring and then sketching and writing in our "show and tell journals". I teach 4 year old kindergarten and it always amazes me at their interest level in show and tell, their questioning, conversations as well as all that good science and math that is going on. I got the idea here: http://www.kindergarten-lessons.com/show_and_tell.html
I changed it a bit to meet the needs of my kiddos.

Unknown said...

I do show and tell to incorporate common core speaking and listening standards. I even created a pack on TPT for SHow and Tell..."Bringing Back Show and Tell" ....questioning, recording sheets, etc. =)
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Lisa Mattes said...

Love the clues idea!!! We dabble in S&T in first grade here and there...this will improve it greatly! Thanks so much!

I'd be so honored if you stopped by my little blog!
Growing Firsties is having a Pete the Cat Giveaway that also donates to Hurricane Sandy Relief!

Karen Stamp said...

We do something similar... when each child is the Eagle of the Week. On Wednesdays, the Eagle brings the Mystery Box to school. He/She writes 5 clues to describe what is hidden inside. It's always great to hear the clues... and the questions!!
Karen :o)
Mrs. Stamp's Kindergarten

Rhonda said...

At the beginning of each term, I give the children a list with a topic for each week. I do show and tell 4 days a week with about 5 children a day. Each child has an allocated day to bring their show and tell. For example next week is to make something for our Christmas tree and tell us how you made it. Another week was to tell us what you want to be when you grow up and why. For this the children can draw a picture or dress up if they wish. I had several children dress up and they were SO cute!!
Show and tell is a valuable part of children's development. Of course some children don't need any encouragement but for those shy little ones it helps develop their confidence.
I would be happy to share some of my topics if anyone was interested.
Rhonda
Classroom Fun

School Sparks Renee said...

Great ideas for keeping this activity fresh and fun. Renee

Unknown said...

Instead of s&t we do sharing, so that kids can just tell a story or share information instead of feeling pressure to bring an item from home. They end their share by saying "Does anyone have any questions or comments?", then they can pick one boy and one girl to ask questions or make a comment. It can be a little slow at the beginning of the year, but as the year goes on they engage each other in more interesting ways.

Kim and Megan said...

This was great to have so many comment posts about ways you each did it a little differently! Love it! Feel free to comment any time!

 
Pin It button on image hover

Receive All Free Updates Via Facebook.