KinderGals: 5 Things I Learned About Myself During #purge2016

Search This Blog

Saturday, January 2, 2016

5 Things I Learned About Myself During #purge2016

What a perfectly wonderful holiday! I took a few weeks away from the computer and off the road to just spend time with my family. Andy and I spent time with our kids and their families as well as both of our extended families!
I took one more week away from anything work related to get my house in order.  The Monday after Christmas I started my mission…#purge2016.  I grew up in a military family. Every 3 to 4 years, we had to clean out closets, pack boxes and move to a new town. The military gave my parents a weight limit for our household supplies, so a natural purge occurred.  We each picked our favorite toys, donated outgrown clothes, discarded broken items…
Once Andy and I were married, we moved into our first home where we stayed for 5 years, moved to a rental for a year, moved to our 2nd home where we stayed 8 years, moved to a rental for a year, and then moved to our current home! Add it up….15 years with 5 moves.  Again a natural purge! Our last move was to our “forever home”! We have been here for 16 years with no plans of ever moving! So…16 years worth of shopping and filling up closets.  When the kids moved out, I even took over their closets!
From Monday to Friday, I cleaned out every closet, cabinet, drawer, box in the house! We took 4 truck loads to goodwill, 2 loads to the dump, and filled the trash cans.  Andy tackled the basement while I did the house.  Our basement, (2000 square feet!) has been the dropping ground for our extended family. Want to get rid of a couch but can’t bring yourself to give or throw it away….just store it at Kim’s! There must be 10 couches down there! We sent out a message to come tag your belongings or they were going to be donated to Goodwill.  For the untagged items, I posted pictures on our family facebook page, putting the items up for grabs! Sisters arrived tagging and claiming some of theirs and picking up unclaimed items! (I have plans for that basement. )
So what did I learn about myself during purge2016?
1. I can’t purge the kitchen…I don’t cook!
2. You don’t have to save hotel shampoo and soap from every hotel.
3. Who knew we had so many pens!?
4. Goodwill takes almost anything!
5. The hardest two things to purge…school stuff and my closet!
We have a 3 car garage. When we moved in the house 16 years ago, I had Andy build a wall to divide the space into a 2 car bay and a 1 car bay. The 1 car bay became my school room.  I spent the better part of a day cleaning there. I’m down to a few stacks of tubs, a pile of my dollar store “Hoard”, and piles of work samples. The rest is pretty much organized. (I’ll show a picture when the purge is complete!) So what’s my plan? School items are emotional. They represent years of hard work. They hold my identity. I AM A TEACHER! I have the hardest time letting go. My plan is a tub or a stack or a pile each week. That’s doable. It will give me time to look at things, pick out the ones I need to save for teacher training, pass on to my kids or grandkids the things they can use, and yes….trash the rest!
 
The other area of the house that is hard…my closet! When I was a young teacher I had 5 outfits for school. I washed on the weekend and wore them during the week. No lie, money was tight! It didn’t help that my size has yo-yo’ed my whole life.  So I had 5 outfits at 5 different sizes!  “Hi! My name is Kim…I have a problem, I hoard clothes!”  
So here’s the plan…Megan told me about this 30 day closet purge that I’m going to try, but I reversed the order.  Here’s how it works….On Jan 1-you get rid of one thing, on Jan 2-you get rid of 2 things, until Jan 31 you get rid of 31 things.  But, I flipped it so that on Jan 1, I got rid of 31 things! Heads up…this closet has my winter clothes, summer clothes are upstairs! I will purge those in the spring…stage 2 of #purge2016!
Here’s the list of my purge:
Jan 1-31 pairs of socks (I still have a drawer full)
Jan 2-30 purses, totes, shoes
They say if you have a goal, make it public….So here it is…

Clear out the school garage and purge and organize my closet!

Today Megan and Ginny are over and we are in “back to school” mode. Ginny is prepping for her number combinations unit…The printer is going, the laminator is hot…..
One last thing…One of my goals for 2016 is to  be more appreciative-#kimsthankfulthoughts2016. To be more conscience about recognizing all that I have to be so incredibly thankful for. Each day, even on the most challenging, awful days, there are things we can be thankful for. So each day…I am going to find something….big or small…to be thankful for! The first ones are easy:
1. I am thankful that I have a Savior that loves me no matter what! Even on my most terrible days, even when I don’t deserve it, even when I don’t ask for it….he loves and forgives me!
2. I have an incredibly patient, hardworking, hunk of a husband! Nearly 32 years of marriage and looking forward to 32+ more!
Pin It!

22 comments:

Miss Kindergarten said...

#2 from what you learned had me cracking up!! My husband thinks it's necessary to save all the shampoos and it drives me crazy!!! You did a great job on your purging!

kimmi said...

I'm nearly positive we are related! That looks almost like my closet except, evidently, I also hard light bulbs! There are about 12 cases in my closet. Please pray that I find the courage to follow in your footsteps. I know it is time because my mom is now making comments and half the stuff in my basement belongs to her!

Carol Birch said...

You go girl! You are inspiring me to clean out my craft room (aka crap room)....Well, maybe tomorrow....

AuntRosa said...

I too purged my closet and made a resolution to not buy any clothes, shoes for a year! Except running shoes :)

Sandy Welch said...

I need to clean the Show and Tell Apron shipping department located in the dining room and both downstairs bedrooms! I went into the dining room and meant to be good, but things didn't happen the way that they should!!! I went straight to the chocolates sitting in a bowl and backed out of that scary room, I tell 'ya. Good for you for cleaning up, Kim! :)

Laura said...

It is so hard to give up those things that you might "someday" need!

Tracy said...

I hope you are doing well with your closet purge and organizing your garage school supplies! I really need to organize my closet. Maybe during spring break!

KGMB said...

I loved hearing about your purge process. I have a huge amount of clutter myself, and am trying to purge, but it is when it comes to professional and sentimental items!

Kimberly Penland said...

Closets are so difficult to organize and keep tidy! Thank you for being transparent and showing the realities of life!!!! I am inspired after reading your post!

Lisa Ryba said...

I try to purge every year too, but it so hard to get rid of the "I might need that some day" stuff. It seems like that pile never goes away!

Lori Raines said...

I need to organize and clean out my school closet.

Jennifer Taylor said...

I soooo need to do this! I'm a little late to start the challenge but I guess better late than never :)

Kathy Fidler said...

I try ti do this yearly...not best at it but do get rid of some!

Kathy Fidler said...

I try ti do this yearly...not best at it but do get rid of some!

Nicole Louks said...

I could definitely use some organizing help!!

Vanessa Witherell said...

I'm going through this right now, too!! I do it spur of the moment every year.

Shannon Gillikin said...

Purging is the best feeling! It's so easy to keep too many things over the years. At the end of the year, if I haven't used it, I toss it. The great thing is we always share our "toss" piles with other teachers-- you never know who might want something!

Kim Durno Toms said...

Thank you for this...I thought I was alone in my thoughts:) I look forward to seeing you in Orlando!!!

mreiche said...

Every year I do some purging. I love converting my teacher friends and getting them to purge! I've converted at least 3! Great blog!

Cynthia Lukas said...

I'm in the midst of the purge right now! Too many bins stacked in corners. How can I expect my Littles to be organized if I'm not?

Cynthia Lukas said...

I'm in the midst of the purge right now! Too many bins stacked in corners. How can I expect my Littles to be organized if I'm not?

Hope Adams said...

I really appreciate the great tools you give us to use in our classrooms. I have enjoyed visiting two of your conferences and I have bought your Di math bundle and several of your reading packets. I LOVE anchor charts and your ideas are a perfect fit in my classroom.

 
Pin It button on image hover

Receive All Free Updates Via Facebook.