KinderGals: Throwback Thursday: Literacy Center Management

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Literacy Center Management

I am linking up with Hope, from Second Grade Shenanigans, for Throwback Thursday.

When I set up my centers, the first thing I did was to decide which centers were MAINLY teaching reading, writing and word work. Then I divided them into those three groups.
Slide2Slide3
Then, I divided my room into 5 different areas. The top row on the grid below has areas that teach reading, the second row is writing, the third row word work (abc), the fourth row book centers, and the bottom row play centers. The children will visit one “area” each day being able to choose from the different activities in their area—one for reading, one for writing, one for word work, a book center, and a play center (only open in the afternoon during free choice time).
Slide4
The pictures below show each of the 5 areas of the room. All the centers are in the same area so that children do not need to roam around the room. Their choices for the day are right there together!Slide5Slide6Slide7Slide8
Then I made a board to show the children what their choices were. The one on the left shows a board in the process.  Photos are only added when that center has been explained and practiced! The photo on the right shows the completed board. A few things, like the photo on the left, adding a symbol at the top of each row helps them know where to go. And, number the groups of kids. This way you know to start with Group 1 in the first row on Monday and then move them down one row each day. If you go to my website www.adsit.net in the download section there is a classroom tour that has each center area labeled like the photo below.
Slide9
Slide10
In the photo above, you see how I made my “families”. These are groups of children—all levels, all personalities, all behaviors, etc. Kids that can work well together! Then, the kiddos visit the center areas with their families. These groups are “fixed” unless there is an issue. Once that part is working smoothly, I start to pull small groups of kiddos based on my formative assessments. These groups are very fluid. They may be with some children this week and with different children next week depending on the assessments. Hope this helps those that were in Vegas and those that weren’t! I am in AR tomorrow working with a group of teachers. Super excited---
Pin It!

5 comments:

Amanda D! said...

I like how you divided your centers into ones that teach reading, writing, and word work. So you assign a family to a certain area (like writing) and they can pick the activity that they do? Is that how it works? Thanks for sharing!

-Amanda

Kim and Megan said...

Amanda, each of the 5 areas has reading, writing and word work opportunities. I don't care which of them they choose as long as they finish their "have to" they can pick any of the can dos in their area.

Erica Priscella said...

This is going to help me get my groups going again. As a new Kindergarten teacher, I am always looking for ways to help myself be better organized in my classroom.

AshleyB said...

What kinds of activities do you assign as "Have To's?" Are these activities things the students can do independently or with their family while you work with a guided reading group?
Also, do you have the same families for Math and Literacy Centers or different groupings?

Thanks so much for the tips! Love it all!

Ashley

Kim and Megan said...

Have to activities are things that the children have already mastered the standard and they have done a similar activity before. For example, it might be a game they have played before using rhyming cards, but, now they are using a different game board with beginning sound cards. They are always welcomed to work together or independently in their family groups. You might want to check out the literacy center units I wrote with Deanna Jump. You can find them here: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Deanna-Jump-11/Search:centers+made+easy

 
Pin It button on image hover

Receive All Free Updates Via Facebook.